At Colorado State University, diversity, equity, and inclusion are more than words – they are a call to action. Through proactive efforts and meaningful progress, we are working towards our vision of an inclusive university community that welcomes and affirms diversity of people, perspectives, and ideas.
Founded in 2010, the Office for Inclusive Excellence, formerly known as the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, is committed to fostering an inclusive campus environment through the active engagement of Colorado State University employees and students.
Inclusive Excellence supports the organizational level through specialized interventions tailored for specific units, the development of departmental diversity plans, community building affinity groups, and more.
University Diversity Statement
Colorado State University is committed to embracing diversity through the inclusion of individuals reflective of characteristics such as: age, culture, different ideas and perspectives, disability, ethnicity, first generation status, familial status, gender identity and expression, geographic background, marital status, national origin, race, religious and spiritual beliefs, sex, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, physical appearance, medical diagnosis, documentation status, and veteran status with special attention given to populations historically underrepresented or excluded from participation in higher education. The University’s commitment to diversity is a longstanding one that reflects our role and mission as a land-grant institution.
Through community collaboration, we provide leadership, accountability, and education to advance an inclusive university culture that prioritizes equity at individual, organizational, and structural levels.
Colorado State University will be a modern land grant institution that embodies diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice as fundamental values that inform our practices so all may access and realize their full potential.
Areas of Focus
The Office of Inclusive Excellence fosters an inclusive environment that promotes and nurtures diversity, broadly defined, at Colorado State University. Our goal is to further develop an environment where all members of the University community are welcomed, valued, and affirmed. Consistent with the University Strategic Plan, we achieve this by focusing on the following areas:
- Actively support efforts to increase recruitment, retention, and promotion of faculty and staff from historically marginalized and excluded populations;
- Actively support efforts to increase retention and recruitment of students of color from historically marginalized and excluded populations;
- Build an environment where students are more culturally competent and have skills to enter into a diverse global workplace;
- Improve the campus climate of inclusion;
- Enhance effectiveness of curriculum, educational programs, and research, with regard to diversity and inclusion; and
- Increase outreach and engagement with external communities.